Fresh artisanal Gelato made with passion and local ingredients
Prime Gelato offers high quality, creative, artisanal gelato made fresh every day. We believe in sustainability and buying local. We source as many local ingredients as possible. The milk and cream we use come from the Slate River Valley and surrounding areas. We use local eggs, honey, maple syrup, wild blueberries, strawberries (seasonal), pumpkins, herbs, etc. The flour we use for our homemade waffle cones and crepes. We also support local artisans.
When you buy our products, you are supporting our local economy.
We believe in natural ingredients. There are no artificial flavours, no modified milk ingredients, no high fructose corn syrup, no fillers, no preservatives and no artificial colours in our products. Our gelato is real food made from real ingredients.
We offer unique and tantalizing flavours you won't see anywhere else. Come into our tasting room and try some gelato for yourself! But be warned: it's a testing kitchen - you might not find the same flavours twice!
Our selection includes dairy-free and vegan friendly options as well. Find a new favourite flavour each time you visit and soon you'll be able to find it in your local food specialty store or restaurant!
200 Red River Rd
Thunder Bay, ON
Open 7 days a week
Monday - Sunday
12pm - 10pm
Ice Cream VS Gelato
What's the difference between Gelato and Ice Cream? It really comes down to three factors: fat, air, and serving temperature.
- Premium ice cream is generally 25-30% fat by volume (that's why it's called "iced cream" silly!)
- Ice cream is churned hard and fast to whip in plenty of air (called overrun), which is aided by the high proportion of cream in the base. Overrun usually generates 50% to over 100% more volume, which produces a light, thin, fast-melting texture
- In Ice cream the main ingredient is... cream
- It is served directly out of the freezer at -22° Celcius, which freezes your palate and makes it harder to taste the flavours which thus requires a higher content of butterfat and sugar
- Most ice creams contain cheap fillers (ie. modified milk ingredients)
- Gelato is generally only 4-8% fat
- Gelato contains 20-30% overun, producing a denser product with a more intense flavour
- Gelato's main ingredient is milk (be it dairy or non-dairy milk)
- Because gelato is served warmer then ice cream (-12°C), you are able to taste the flavours much more intensely
- Artisanal gelato is almost always gluten free (unless theres a mashed up pie of some sort in it)
- There are no fillers in artisanal gelato